Karelia / About Karelia / History

History

Karelia has strong roots in Finland.

1955

Manufacturing of resilient coverings begins in Nokia. Production expands in 1960s to include public spaces' resilient mats and flexible vinyl mats.

1981

Karelia Parketti begins from Parkettiliike Väänänen Oy, founded by Heikki Väänänen to engage in hardwood flooring installation, wholesale and imports.

1991

Tuupovaara hardwood flooring factory acquired by Karelia Parketti Oy. Production of hardwood flooring with Karelia trademark begins in 1992.

1998

Kuopio factory completed.

2000

Karelia Parketti Oy and Upofloor Oy merge to form Karelia Yhtymä group.

2004

Hartwall family becomes majority shareholder of Karelia Yhtymä Oy (Hartwall family 63.3%, Heikki Väänänen's family 33.4%, external board members and operative management 3.3%).

2007

Karelia-Upofloor started production in Romania.

2008

Karelia-Upofloor's subsidiary, Focus Wood, started parquet production in Russia.

2008

Hartwall Capital Oy Ab buys the Karelia Upofloor Oy shares owned by Heikki Väänänen's family. After the acquisition Hartwall Capital and its stakeholders own ninetynine percent of the group.

2012

Merger of Karelia-Upofloor and the Swedish company AB Gustaf Kähr. The majority owner Triton and the second largest owner Hartwall Capital.